I’ll be honest, I was a bit reluctant to share this recipe; not because it didn’t taste amazing because it may have been one of the most flavorful recipes I’ve made in a while. But because this fresh tasting dinner neglected to use whole wheat pasta, a typical staple for me. After devouring a bowl of this pretty pasta, I knew it was too tasty of a secret to keep! This past Sunday night I decided to splurge with the real Italian deal, just in moderation. This super yummy pasta from Trader Joe’s was a total score and may possibly be a new addition to my red grocery cart. With pops of bright lemon flavor and the snap of black pepper flakes, this pasta definitely elevated my Sunday night dinner at home. As I said, I usually try to steer clear of refined pasta, by adding tons of fresh asparagus, I was able to fill up on this low calorie, highly nutritious veggie rather than spending the night carbo loading. When ever I cook pasta, whole wheat included, I aim to replace half of the pasta for veggies. While this pasta may not be the least processed of the bunch, it is hands down worth the once and a while sacrifice; loaded with fresh veggies, lean protein, and the bright flavors of the spring months ahead. I would not even call this a “cheat meal,” as it is filled with savory nutrition and whole ingredients that definitely make twirling up a forkful for yourself tonight!
- 1 package of Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper Pappardelle Pasta, if not available regular pasta will work too!
- 1 cup of fresh asparagus, cut into thirds
- 1/2 lb. of raw, shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 -6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp of oregano
- 1 cup of fresh leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 6 oz. of white wine, dry
- juice from half of a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Servings: 4
- Difficulty: easy
- In a medium size pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil
- Add the asparagus and cook until tender
- While the asparagus cooks, in a medium skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, once warm, add the garlic, oregano, and leeks. Saute until tender.
- Add the white wine
- Once asparagus are tender, use a slotted spoon to remove and place in the skillet with the leeks. Use the water from the asparagus to cook the pasta, following the package directions
- When pasta has 2-3 minutes left, add the shrimp to the asparagus and leeks and cook until pink.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over shrimp and vegetables
- Once pasta is done, toss with remaining ingredients and serve with fresh Parmesan cheese
- Calories: 399
- Carbohydrates: 51 grams
- Protein: 25 grams
- Fat: 6 grams