I have some big news, drum roll please… I officially have my own apartment. The little bird has officially left the nest. With lots of excitement and a few jitters, I signed the lease the most adorable little apartment right in the heart of downtown Branford. My apartment is fully decorated and I have been enjoying the many local restaurants, runs by the water, and of course the independence of having a place to call my own.
Anyone that knows me at all, will say that the kitchen was the number one deciding factor in my apartment search (with a good running route being a close second.) Since I have moved in, I had been beyond anxious to finally put my new pots, pans, cutting boards, knives, and oven to work, and equally as anxious for all of my friends to check out my home. With a night off of work and a kitchen begging to be used, I finally pulled out my shiny new pots and pans and made my apartment’s very first meal.
This warm and comforting dinner was the perfect way to welcome my friends to my new home. With some heat from the crushed red pepper and the rich flavor of the chicken sausage, this dinner is an ultimate comfort food; loaded with veggies and whole grains, this dinner a nutritious option for a cozy dinner in. Beyond the deep flavors of this pasta, one of the best parts of this dinner is the yummy aroma that has filled my new home.
- 3 links of Italian chicken sausage
- 2 cups of cooked broccoli (frozen works great)
- 6 oz of whole wheat pasta (I used shells, penne would be great too!)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp of crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how spicy)
- 1/2 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Servings: 4
- Difficulty: easy
- Cook the pasta according to package directions
- In a medium pan, over medium high heat, saute the onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, and Italian seasoning until translucent
- Remove the sausage from the casing and add to the pan, break apart as you saute the sausage
- Add the white wine and broccoli and let simmer
- When pasta is done toss with the sausage and broccoli mixture and let simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, allowing flavors to set
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve!
- Calories: 386
- Carbohydrates: 36 grams
- Fats: 18 grams
- Protein: 19 grams
- Fiber: 6 grams